Welcome back to the BLC Cannadispatch, providing the Los Angeles social equity community with the latest cannabis jobs, resources, news, and events!
This is a long but exciting email because we are proud to offer a ton of new webinars and programs for the social equity community. Let's run through a quick outline of this email:
- Our October Webinar lineup!
- Contact Information Update
- Over 300 hours of free coaching!
- Business to Business Mixer
- Employer Tool Kit
- What We're Consuming
- DCR's Job Board
As always, feel free to email DCR.SEP@lacity.org if you have any questions.
- October 4th - Beachside Chat: Tech Tools for Raising Capital & Acquisitions
- October 6 - City of LA Office of Finance
- October 18 - City of LA Fire Department & Building and Safety
- October 20 - City of LA DQP & Sanitation
DCR is proud to offer cannabis entrepreneurs four webinars with Subject Matter Experts on raising capital and an introduction to the different City of Los Angeles departments you will navigate to start and run a Social Equity Cannabis business in LA.
The Los Angeles Department of Cannabis Regulations, Social Equity Department offers over 300 hours of free coaching, free webinars, grant money, and a ton of critical updates on the fast-changing cannabis legal and business landscape.
But, if we do not have your most up-to-date information, you will not hear about any of these incredible opportunities. So please, take 1-minute and update your contact information.
Coaching is professional consulting sponsored by DCR, to help you in tough situations, develop strategic plans, and build your best team.
Your Coach will:
- Offer customized learning experiences tailored toward your needs.
- Work one-to-one, not in a group of people.
- Offer practical advice.
- Get you to the next level
Coaching happens on your time schedule. Coaching is different for everyone. Please schedule a 15-Minute virtual assessment with a Guidance Counselor to get yours.
For Businesses that need specific expertise, please schedule a 15-Minute virtual assessment to determine the next steps and to find you the best subject-matter expert in the following categories:
- Exploratory: Select a license type and define your business model.
- Commercial Leases & Negotiation
- Contracts or Business Structures
- Planning and creating a business plan.
- Operational: You are open, operating and have hot issues to deal with daily.
- Workforce Development and HR: Need to hire, improve or refine your workforce.
For job seekers, please check out our free coaching opportunities:
- Interview Training
- Resume review
- Resume writing assistance
- Mock interview with the coach
- Coaching for Job Seekers
- Skills Required
- How to Apply
- Where to find cannabis jobs
A free virtual event for ALL Cannabis Businesses in Los Angeles, CA, to showcase your business or services, find business opportunities, share best practices, and network with other businesses in Cannabis.
Live interactive discussions with featured companies on real estate, business operations, and more. Open discussion mixer session for companies to meet and network. Meet Expert Coaches! To have your company featured, email LAequity@oaksterdamuniversity.com.
Virtual Business to Business Supply Chain Mixer October 12th, 10 AM – 12 PM
- 10:00 AM - 10:25 AM - Keynote from Dr. Dilara Uskup
- 10:25 AM - 10:30 AM - Coaching Program
- 10:30 AM - 10:45 AM - Spotlight: The Michael Cartagena Group
- 10:45 AM - 11:15 AM - Real Estate for Business Operations
- 11:15 AM - 11:30 AM - Spotlight: Legal - James Silva
- 11:30 AM - 11:40 AM - LA DCR LMS; Coaching Resources
- 11:40 AM - 12:00 PM - Open Networking - Introduce Yourself!
Virtual Hiring Mixer - October 12th, 12 PM – 1 PM
- 12:00 PM - 12:10 PM - Welcome - DCR Job resources for Employers
- 12:10 PM - 12:30 PM - Interviewing; Hiring Your Ideal Team
- 12:30 PM - 12:40 PM - For employers - Coaching for interviewing
- 12:40 PM - 1:00 PM - Open Engagement and Networking
To get your company featured, email LAequity@oaksterdamuniversity.com.
EMPLOYER TOOLKIT: A single source for what YOU need to know.
- Resources for Hiring Employees
- Compliance Responsibilities
- Determining Employee vs.Contractor
- Payroll Taxes
- Responding to Unemployment Claims
- Covid-19 Safety in the Workplace
- CA Regulatory Agency Information
Tools are arranged according to the “employee life cycle,” which follows the entire process of finding, hiring, and eventually offboarding an employee.
- Video: Recruitment and Hiring
- Video: Onboarding, Training, Retention, and Offboarding
- Video: General Overview Skills and Experience to Hire For by License Type
Templates & Checklists: Employee Lifecycle: Employer Requirements in California
- Legal Weed, Broken Promises: A Times series on the fallout of legal pot in California
- California workers won’t have to worry about being fired, or not hired, for off-the-clock marijuana use
- After Times investigation, law passed to force California to clear pot convictions faster
- Letters to the Editor: How federal prohibition has ruined legal marijuana in California
- Dozens of California cities, counties could OK new recreational marijuana markets
- Why Illegal Weed Is Booming In California
- Nation’s Largest B2B Event for BIPOC Cannabis Professionals Returns to New Orleans
- South Asian Americans Are Coming Out Of The Weed Closet
- California cannabis company’s default highlights debt woes facing state’s MJ businesses
- California Governor Newsom legalizes interstate commerce in cannabis
- Courts could throw state marijuana markets into disarray
- How will California's new cannabis laws help state reach goal of full legalization?
- Congressional bill would free up researchers to study modern cannabis products
- The Times podcast: How illegal cannabis smoked California