Public Convenience or Necessity Application Process (PCN)

PCN Application Process

Request a PCN Finding


Type 10 Retail License Processing in Areas of Undue Concentration FAQs

Question: Will I be able to apply for a Type 10 Retail License if my Business Premises is located in a geographic area of Undue Concentration on or after September 3, 2019? 
Answer: Yes. DCR will process Type 10 Retail Licenses for Applicants who meet the following requirements:

  1.  Applicant must have been verified as a Tier 1 and/or Tier 2 Applicant during the 60-day pre-vetting window;
  2. Applicant must submit the same documents as required for Phase 3 Retail Round 1 Processing;
  3. The business premises must comply with zoning and sensitive use location requirements; and
  4. The City Council makes a finding or deems to have found that approval would serve public convenience or necessity (“PCN Finding”). 

Question: If the City Council approves my PCN request, will my application for Type 10 Retail Licenses be processed on a first-come, first-served basis?
Answer: Yes. These applications will be processed on a first come, first served basis determined by the date and time the application is submitted to DCR through Accela. Therefore, Applicants should submit their applications for Type 10 Retail Licenses immediately after the City Council’s decision is issued. 

Question: How do I request a PCN Finding from City Council? 
Answer: Beginning on September 3, 2019, Applicants who are seeking a PCN Finding from City Council must follow the following instructions:

  1. Log Into Accela and Select the “Apply for a License;”
  2. Answer the question regarding Areas of Undue Concentration with a “Yes” and complete the process as directed, which includes uploading documents. Accela will issue a record number, LA-P-19-310___-R-APP;
  3. DCR will conduct a cursory review of the information provided and will send an invoice for the PCN Request Fee to the Applicant.
  4. Pay PCN Request Fee of $1,499 at the Office of Finance within 10 days of the date of the invoice date;
  5. Take the receipt of payment to DCR. At that time, the Applicant will be able to complete the PCN Request Form;
  6. DCR will forward the PCN Request Package to the City Clerk to be agendized before the City Council.

Please note that this process is not an application for a commercial cannabis license. If and when the City Council finds that approval of the application serves the public convenience or necessity, the applicant will have to complete an application for a Type 10 Retail License with DCR.

Question: What happens if I don’t pay the PCN request fee within the 10 days alloted by DCR?
Answer: DCR will abandon the request for PCN Finding in Accela and the Applicant will have to begin the process again. The Office of Finance will not be able to accept payment after the 10 day payment window. 

Question: What happens after the PCN request is routed to the City Clerk?
Answer: The City Clerk will assign a Council File Number (CF) to the PCN request or “Item.” The City Council has 90 business days from receipt to either approve or deny the PCN request based upon evidence in the record. If the City Council does not make a determination within the allotted time, the PCN request is deemed approved in accordance with law.

Question: What happens if the City Council approves my request for PCN Finding?
Answer: The Applicant may now continue to apply for a Type 10 Retail License through Accela. In order to be able to proceed with the application process, the Council File Number assigned to the item by the City Clerk will need to be entered into Accela. DCR staff will review each Type 10 Retail License Application in the order received.

Question: What happens if the City Council denies my request for a PCN Finding?
Answer: Unfortunately, without a finding of public convenience or necessity from City Council, DCR is unable to process the application.

Question: Can anyone apply for a PCN Finding?
Answer: No. At this time only verified Social Equity Program Applicants who applied for pre-vetting during the 60-day window (May 28, 2019 to July 29, 2019) can request a PCN Finding in order to comply with Social Equity Program processing ratios.

Question: Where do I pay the PCN Request fee? 
Answer: The invoice and payment must be taken to the Office of Finance. Applicants with cash payments in excess of $1,000 are required to make an appointment for payment at Los Angeles City Hall, located at 200 N. Spring Street, Room 101, Los Angeles, CA 90012.